Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2026

8-9

Tupelo Black Gum turning red
Walnut trees adding yellow
Maple showing pink and orange hue
Surprise lilies popping up

The signals of fall are everywhere even though it’s still above 95 daily, nature knows what’s coming next. I love fall, but we often skip it entirely going from hot to cold with only a short span in between. 


 I went to my favorite library and found all the Ann Patchett books they had in the shelves. Laura gave me one from ThriftBooks she ordered. I’ll save it til last. May not be able to red them all before they’re due August 29…but who knows. I found three new books they’d just put on the shelf. They’re nonfiction and have an Arkansas connection.

A local lawyer has written a memoir. I know her and enjoyed reading about her life. I knew her mother well. We met in a graduate class— History of the South. Reading about all the hurdles she had to overcome was startling. She has a heart for the poor as I do. She was a Vista volunteer at 17. Her son was in my class in 6th grade. He died at 17 from injuries of an automobile wreck. I read the book 📕 yesterday and plan to pass it to Laura. I learned a lot about laws and crime and life from her book. I wish I could share it with Fleta.
Lady Lawyer

Greta can jump

Erin sent me a video of Greta touching the bottom of the basketball goal. It’s 9 feet high. She’s 5’10”. So she’s elevating over 3”.  She has been trying to hit this target for a long time. Success! 






.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Greta! That's quite an accomplishment. "State of Wonder" was the first Patchett I read and is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be busy reading! Way to go Greta!!

    ReplyDelete