Saturday, November 28, 2020

Sandstone Castles

 Today, Little Red and I hiked to Sandstone Castles.  It was a feat for a old lady in her 7 th decade, but I made it.   The Sandstone Castles are actually a series of caves cut into the rock of the bluff at the top of the ridge overlooking Big Devil's Fork and Long Devil's Fork, high above where they flow into the Twin Falls of Richland.  The caves have 'windows' overlooking the valley below.  Legend has it this place was used by criminals and civil war deserters to hide out from the Law.  

The trail was well marked, but it was a long trek for me.  When we finally reached the Castles.  I thought I might be like Moses and only see the promised land from afar.  I sort of rolled down the last ridge to the scenic spot.  After we ate our lunch, I literally crawled backup to the trail.  I am glad only Laura and Phinnie were watching me.  I have always wanted to go to this spot.  I checked that off my list today!






P





2 comments:

Sister--Fleta said...

So you got high.

Margie's Musings said...

Good for you! I will be 85 next Wednesday and as healthy as I am, I know I could not have done that. I have sat around for seven months and have lost a lot of my energy.