Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Apples Galore

I saw this about types of apples.  Growing up I recall, red delicious, yellow delicious and Jonathan. My favorite apple is yellow delicious.  They’re new types yearly.  Back in the 1990’s, Fuji became popular.  I like them. Gala apples cropped up about the same time.  They don’t have much favor seems to me. Pilgrims planted the first U.S. apple trees in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.   It takes almost 5 years for a tree to produce apples, a bigger tree can take 10 years.  Dad planted some dwarf trees because they produce the quickest.  They die sooner too.  There’s over 2500 types of trees to choose from. I think I’m to old to have an apple orchard!

I’m reading this book by Elizabeth Strout. If you read “I am Lucy Barton” and “Olive Kitteridge” I think you’d like it.  I don’t read a lot of fiction but I like Elizabeth’s books.  


 

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting apple chart. I like Raeburns and Honeycrisp. Honeycrisp is a University of Minnesota apple! Looks like you have a good read!