Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ramps

Our squirrel hunting friend in Georgia told us about eating ramps in the spring. We had never heard of them...well, he sent a photo of them. He said they were onion tasting. Here is something I found about them. Wonder if Patsy knows if they grown in Arkansas?

The Wild Leek,
also known as the Ramp, or common Wild Leek (Allium tricoccum) is our best wild onion and a source of food and spiciness all year round.

Broad, smooth, light green leaves, often with deep purple or burgundy tints on the lower stems begin arriving in small troops as soon as the snow disappears. Scallion like bulbs are strongly rooted just beneath the surface of the soil. Finish off your identification by tearing a leaf or stem and taking a sniff of the strong and distinctive onion scent of the Leek

1 comment:

Sister--Helen said...

well it seems like onions are the only thing I can grow....so I don't have to worry about ramps...Betty I read your comment to Pat about letters...Richard wrote me years ago and he started it by saying this is the 1st letter he ever wrote...I know I have it. I just do not know where...Now I will be tearing the house apart to find it...I wish I had not thought of it....I also have letters from Daddy. The last one he wrote me his hand writting was really bad...That happens when your mind goes...believe me I know...I have been better mentaly these last few months than I have been in years...It is surprising...But a welcome change...I also have a letter from Aunt Thelma...I love it...