Friday, July 14, 2023

Meringue

I don’t think I’ve made a pie with meringue since Larry passed, but I used to make one occasionally.  He loved lemon and coconut.

Sister Helen wanted me to share my meringue recipe with Cousin Frankie.  I did. This is from an old cookbook called Butter and Love.  It’s from a Russellville Church but my cover wore out and is gone.

I mix the 2 T. Sugar, 1 T. Cornstarch, and half cup water and cook in microwave.  I cook 30 seconds, stir, then 30 seconds more until it is cooked clear and thick.  I do rest as recipe says, but I add 1/2 t. Cream of tartar. You bake in oven how you normally bake meringue. 

Who’d have thought it.  Frankie said he was going to try my meringue recipe and so he did.  I am wishing I did not live 2 and 1/2 hours away.  I’d have to sample it to see if it was good!   Frankie is 80 years young.  His wife has memory problems.  He does all the cooking now and from the looks of the lemon pie he sent me a picture of—he’s doing quite well in the kitchen.


 

3 comments:

Donna. W said...

When I was a little girl, my mother made a lot of pies using meringue, but I never cared for it much and neither does my sister. When I make my sister's lemon pie, I do as she does and put whipped cream of Cool Whip on it. I remember a preacher from my childhood eating pie at our house and, as he was handed his pie with meringue, he said, "Oh, I like pie with cow slobbers on it."

My mother loved to feed preachers.

Galla Creek said...

That’s what Fleta calls meringue!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting, I just whip up my egg whites and after it forms stiff peaks I add some sugar...maybe about 1/4 cup...I never measure. I did not know there was an actual recipe:)