Thursday, August 1, 2024

Dog Days

 

Dog Days of summer are here. You can read about it in the Old Farmer’s Almanac.  The Almanac advises one to make ice tea to better endure these days. I dumped my nectar from my hummingbird feeder and made fresh.  It had soured.  I moved it back near my porch so I could watch my little friends up close.  

Dog Days of summer are the 40 days beginning July 3 and to August 11. The phrase is a reference to Sirius, the Dog Star. During the “Dog Days” period, the Sun occupies the same region of the sky as Sirius, the brightest star visible from any part of Earth. Sirius is a part of the constellation Canis Major, the Greater Dog.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes we will have a few more days in the 80's with high humidity and then back into the 70's...I rather like the 70's. Nearly had heat stroke today mowing my brothers lawn.