Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Movin’ Like a Barge


I’m easily fascinated!  Barges and trains are old ways of travel but so much more economical that big diesels!  I’m reading about the Butterfield stage!  Mail could travel from New York to San Francisco on the stage by 1850.  It made a stop at Potts Inn, Pottsville,  AR! A letter from Memphis to Ft Smith would arrive about the same as today when I drop it in my mailbox.  But across America it took 23 to 24 days! That Barge can haul an astonishing 1,500 to 1,750 short tons of dry cargo. That means a single barge has a carrying capacity equivalent to 60-70 semi trucks! 

We are all in a hurry!  Well, except me, I move about like that barge😂


 

2 comments:

DrumMajor said...

Interesting facts. I like to move like the barge rate too. Linda in Kansas

Far Side of Fifty said...

Slow and easy does it!