Thursday, July 7, 2011

George E. Gaddy's Deposition

Or what our Grandpa said........
George Ellis Gaddy after being duly sworn to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth testifies as follows--
1. My name is George Ellis Gaddy. I am 55 years of age, a resident of Carroll County, Arkansas and have been a resident there for....
for the last 28 years. My occupation is that of farming.
2. I am not related to the claimant (Squire Blackie Blevins) and have no interest in the success of the claim.
52. I am here to testify in favor of Squire Blevins.
53. I have known claimant for 28 years and have been intimately acquainted with him for the last 25 years.
54. I lived within 3 miles of the claimant during the War.
55. I presume that I met claimant as often as about once a week from the commencement of the War up to about February 1864 at which time I organized a company of Federal Militia and claimant was one of the first to join the company and he also had one son and two son in laws in my company and the claimant remained with the company until the close of the war during which time I was almost constantly with claimant.
56. Claimant urged his neighbors to vote for union candidates and against convention at the time in question of succession was submitted to a vote.
57. I know the claimant fed and assisted union people and union families before he entered the service and since in my company from February 1864 until the close of the War.
58. I never knew or heard the claimant saying anything against the Union cause.
59. ---
60. Claimant's reputation with both parties was that of a Union man. I never heard any person doubting his loyalty. I am satisfied that Leroy Ayers and W. W. Davis could testify to his loyalty.
61. Leroy Ayers, James L. Hopper and W. W. Ayers were Union men and I am satisfied that either could testify to his loyalty.
62. I was a Union man and claimant knew it from the fact that we
talked and worked together freely.
63. It was general talk here that all Union men had to go in the Rebel service or die and threats of that kind were made to the claimant and one of the claimants sons in laws was killed and another injured and I know they took some of his property.
64. not transcribed
65. Claimant made as good a soldier as I had in my company. Claimant was a man of considerable property and had a large number of good horses and claimant could not have moved north after the commencement of the War without loosing his property and probably his life.
G. E. Gaddy

3 comments:

Linda@VS said...

This is SO interesting. Very cool!

For the record, I believe the missing word in No. 56 is "convention," and the first words in No. 60 are "Claimant's reputation." Does that make sense to you?

patsy said...

Moter scooter riding tyson worker....


A Little Of This-N-Tha





Friday, July 8, 2011BTW
I told Clayton I was going to get a scooter. He said he knew a girl at the plant that rode one all of the time. I thought I might be getting an approvial from him about getting a scooter.....then he added......She was a little retarded...
Posted by The 4th Sister at 7:21 AM 2 comments:
Sister--Three said...
Oh, Helen...I love that one...I laughed out loud. It was funny.

9:01 AM
patsy said...
It is funnier than you know Betty, this girl that rode the scooter retired from tyson and moved to KC Mo. she was a friend of Janets. she calls janet all the time cause she is loney.
The satlite co. offered 100 reward if you can get a friend to sign up for TV service.
Janet got her KC retarded friend to sign up and janet got the 100 dollars off her bill.
Now the motor scooter friend calls Janet to ask what is on TV for the next hour all night long.
I was thinking about getting you to sign up . I was going to call Larry while you were at work and get him to sign you up so I would get 100 dollars but Fleta said It was a lost cause.
I tried our sister Helen but she refused to sign up, she said they had a TV room in the old folks house she lives in and she watched TV there if she wanted TV.

Sister--Fleta said...

Leroy Ayers is Barbara's ggg grandfather. Hoppers are related to Dillard Poor. All in the family, so to speak.