Monday, April 27, 2020

Daddy's Shirt--My Apron


Fleta has been going through stuff in a "shed" is the way Helen put it.  She found some of Daddy's old shirts.  Dad passed in 1988--over 30 years ago.  Helen is a seamstress and she recognized 3 shirts she sewed for Dad.  She asked me if I made this one.  "No", I said...but then I started remembering it.  I did make it.  I bet she could tell by the sorry work!  Daddy loved it and nearly wore it out.  Momma must have loved it too as it was packed away.  Below Daddy has it on and Sweet Patsy came by his house for a visit.  I think I made the shirt before Laura was born in 1974.  I did not make another.  I guess the better sewer took over the task!  Seeing, remembering, wondering how I could have forgotten--it has made me really sad.  Erin, see the lawn mower on the front porch?

Well, today when my sisters came to visit.  Helen had made me an apron from that old shirt Dad cherished.  I have it lying on a chair.  You will have to imagine the ties in the back and the apron is the front of Dad's shirt.

Why did Daddy love the one I made so much and wear it out!  Helen is a much better seamstress.  I don't know why but will say--that is just how he was.  I guess because he knew I had "worked" really hard trying to make him a shirt--he loved it big!
Daddy and Sweet Sister Patsy on his front porch.  That is where he parked his riding lawn mower--a Craftsman from Sears.  

3 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Patsy loved that day...she told me she played hookey from work and Dillard and came home and spent the whole day talking to Daddy.

Sister--Helen said...

Bet his teeth were in that opened shirt pocket

Galla Creek said...

Erin said he liked blue was why he liked the shirt. She recalled he often wore blue.