Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Momma the Seamstress

 Momma made these tops with no pattern.  Helen's looks better than mine I believe. Seems like she made skirts with them.  The back of my picture says I am 14 so Helen was 10.  I think Mom sewed a lot of this by hand.  She loved us and wanted for us to have pretty clothes.  I hope we were proud of these.  She likely ordered the fabric from National Bella Hess.  The year is 1964!

Fleta and I the previous year, 1963.  We shared everything.  Same purple lipstick!  Hannah Aday is Sister made over.  The National Bella Hess Catalog from 1963.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see Siggie in you.

Margie's Musings said...

My mother made all our clothes too...until my dad died and she went to work. Then she bought our clothes. She was then a "Rosie the Riveter" during the Korean Conflict.

Donna. W said...

I was working at National Bellas Hess in 1964. I worked in the yard goods area, so if your mother ordered yard goods, there’s a chance I measured it out and cut it.

Galla Creek said...

That is all momma could afford. We looked at the clothes dreamily but all we could afford was yard goods!