Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January and July

Things never turn out like you want.  Isn't that bird feeder beautiful...well after enduring several January's and July's it does not look the same.  It is sort of nasty pink and covered with bird manure.  Two months I don't really look forward to are January and July.  January--I think of being cold down to my bones.  I recall Fleta and I gathering wood on the hill to keep the house warm.  Maybe it was kindling but it seems like it was fuel to keep us warm.  I have decided I will not be cold in January anymore.  I will spend whatever it takes to be warm down to my bones.

Now, in July it is harder to be cool and comfortable because the air conditioner does not feel like a cool breeze.  It only feels cool to the outside of your skin and down next to the bone you are still hot.  I remember  sleeping in the yard in July and finally feeling cool up in the morning, but wet with dew.  What a Momma I had to let me take her quilts outside to the yard in the summer.  I also remember the one metal fan we had and we would sleep on a pallet at the foot of Dad's bed and feel a hot breeze.

The good thing about January is February comes next.  Merle Haggard says 'if we make it 'til December' but I sang 'if I make through January'.  February brings hope that the garden can be planted and good times lie ahead.  Put out peas, onions, potatoes, cabbage!  Think of the harvest.  Don't think of July when it all burns up and no rain comes to water it.  Think of May and everything being green.  I am glad I was born in June not January.  Sister was born in early May!  What a hopeful time.  Poor Fleta was born at the first of January and probably she was cold during her first days on earth!

I hate the TV.  It just tries to stir a pot about whatever they can get to bubble.   We are the pot.  Everyone today echos and no new thoughts seem to come forth.  Hope springs eternal as February is coming and I can just turn the TV off.

I am looking forward to my first spring when I do not have to rise and go to work.  I can go to work in my garden or whatever I want.  Today I am off to the library in the afternoon.  They have a Rick Bragg book put back for me.  I probably have already read it but maybe I will find another one.  Last time, my books were a wash.  Rielle H.'s story makes one want to puke.  I got a Maya A. cookbook.  It was not very good.  I will not even bother you with the others I lugged home only to lug back again!

Sorry, I have not posted, Sisters.  I have worked on Helen's throw some, but am not nearly completed.  I did a stupid thing.  I bought expensive yarn at Hobby Lobby because it felt good.  When I go by, I take the 40 percent off and get another skein.  I have worked up 4.  The other day...I noticed they raised the price on each skein to 7.99.  Fleta's throw did not cost much...about 24 dollars.  Helen's is going to hold a gold mine.
And Patsy, it has a pineapple fringe and i am afraid I will not understand how do make it.  I may have to bring it up to you to finish.  I am still on the throw and not even to the fringe but I am afraid it may come like January or July--labor to survive.

No comments: