Friday, January 4, 2013

Walnut Harvest

In the fall of about 1963?, Fleta and I picked up black walnuts.  We had a bunch.  Daddy already worked at the Eldridge Mill and had a paycheck coming each week.  He took our walnuts to the hullers and sold them. I think we got almost $40.00.  I took the money to Seitz Dry Goods in Green Forest and bought a green jumper that went with a peasant looking blouse that was pale green.  The  Store was an expensive one.  I remember seeing the outfit and wanting it.  Fleta had no say.  I worked out in my mind that she could wear it too.  NOT!  She did not weigh even 100 pounds and I was probably about 140.  Needless to say it would not fit her, but I wore it a long time.  I wonder if Helen or Fleta remember this happening?

Happy Birthday, Sister, I look forward to Saturday.  The cake will not have walnuts, but Erin will make a tasty carrot cake I am hoping.

No comments: