Monday, March 2, 2015

Could be Worse?

I do hate the cold, cold and ice and all, but.......this photo is of Grandma Bess. I have central heat, an electric throw on my chair, and one of those little Amish heaters I can switch on at my feet.  Bess had to lug in wood and pile it in this huge fire place.  Ice would freeze in the kitchen with this fire blazing.  I have running water--hot and cold.  Bess had to draw up her water outside from an old well with one of those metal well buckets without a bottom. How did that work?  If Bess had milk, she had to milk the cow.  Meat was outside in the smoke house.  Sometimes, I think romatically about the olden days....but I count my blessings today.  I count them one by one (under my electric throw while reading my lastest good book)!

5 comments:

Winnie said...

Was Grandma Bess from your Mom's ancestry?

Galla Creek said...

No from larry's, I claim her.

Sister--Helen said...

Betty love blowing this up and looking at detail....BTW why did dog Nell not hace choped tail..

Galla Creek said...

We got Nell when she was about 8 months old and the guy ay nogo ar left her tail long,

Linda@VS said...

What a great picture! The old treadle sewing machine in the corner made me smile because my Mammaw had one just like it--and used it until she died in 1988 at the age of 92.