Sunday, July 11, 2021

Tomatoes and Gravy

It’s all in your DNA.  Sister Helen sent me a picture of her first vine ripened tomato smothered in gravy.  Just a little later, cousin Frankie Powell sent me a picture almost identical.  They both know I love tomatoes and gravy.  I found a picture of some I fixed.  I don’t bother with any meat.   I guess this is a “Powell” tradition and others will think it’s looks very unappetizing. For the dish to be good, the tomato needs to be home grown not bought at the grocery store or a road side stand.  Most of those side of the road sellers get their produce from a distributor.   They don’t grow it.  I miss Pop’s garden and all the stuff he grew.  Guess I’ll never have tomatoes topped with gravy again.




 

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I've heard of tomato gravy but I tried it once and it was awful. Maybe I didn't make it right. Now I'm learning something new again, because I never heard of putting gravy on top of tomatoes. However, I will try that, since it won't spoil a whole batch of gravy if I don't like it. No tomatoes for me yet except the cherry tomatoes. This hasn't been a good garden year in our neck of the woods.

Galla Creek said...

Donna, you need a biscuit with it for sopping. Lol