Wednesday, March 29, 2023

A Little Sad

The Paul Newman book left me a little sad.  The phrase “sins of the father are visited upon the children” comes to mind.  We like to think that a son would turn from the addictions he has seen his father suffer, but that is often not the case.   Paul Newman sought to do right.  He spoke humbly about his life.  The book is based on his 100’s of hours of taped interviews with Stewart Stern, a close friend.  Facts about Newman—father was a Jew; he grew up in a rich neighborhood; he was well educated; he was color blind; he was a gunner in WW II.  He cared, but failed his own son.


2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I think I'll look for this book in the library. I've always loved Paul Newman. Isn't it strange how so many rich, famous people have sad lives, while I've had such a good life never having much money.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I watched The Sting the other day, he was a marvelous actor. So many famous people have addiction problems...but normal people do too and most people will not talk about it:(