Saturday, March 25, 2023

Laura’s Home

Tuesday, Erin drove to Wright County, Missouri and visited the home of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Ada wore one of the dresses I bought her for Christmas.  She thinks she is quite striking.  

The reading bug bit me in 4th grade.  My teacher was Bessie Atchley.  She had a small library in our room and read to us each day after lunch. The book she read from was also in her library.  She’d tell us to check the book out if we did not want to wait to hear what happened as she only read one chapter a day.  She knew what she was doing.  I’d check out what she started reading and soon I was a very good reader.  The Little House in the Big Woods was one of the first books I enjoyed.  Bless Mrs. Atchley’s heart—a wonderful teacher.

The rock cottage was the home of Laura Ingall’s daughter Rose Wilder.
Pa’s Fiddle that entertained the family on long cold evenings in their cabin.
The Wilder Home is now a museum.  It’s in Wright County, M9.
Ada got to wear one of the dresses I bought her at Christmas.  She’s admiring her image.
Clayton went along but Erin may have forced him to go.
 

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I read that series to my girls at night, and they both became excellent readers. Jen had to have some reading help but once she stopped making up words because she was so impatient she did great! I love to read, My Mother never read to any of us and she still doesn't read, she used to get mad at my Dad because he carried a book in his pocket:)