Saturday, October 3, 2020

Mincemeat Anyone?


 Do you like mincemeat?  My Daddy loved it.  We often had a mincemeat pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Mostly, Mom bought a frozen pie, but I can remember when she made it.  Granny Renfroe made it too.  They both boiled a hog’s head and removed the meat.  That’s the reason mincemeat is called meat.  Mince pies were first served in the early middle ages, and the pies were quite sizeable, filled with a mixture of finely minced meat, chopped up fruit and a preserving liquid. I never got too excited over the taste, but my favorite Yell County Librarian bought a jar of mincemeat in the markdowns and made mincemeat bread.  I raved about so exquisitely that she send me a second slice.

In 1413, King Henry V served a mincemeat pie at his coronation. Henry the VII was fond of the meaty Christmas pie as a main dish, filled with minced meat and fruit.  Today’s mince pies bear little resemblance to the early versions.   Most contain no meat, just spices and fruit in a wine like sauce.

Thank you, Amy Shields Wade!  ❤️

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

I didn't know how the mincemeat was made. I may never be able to eat mincemeat pie again.