Sunday, October 18, 2020

Trees Tell Many Tales

Holly above

Cucumber Tree or Northern Magnolia below

I love trees, weeds, and wild flowers.  Every tree in my yard has a story.  Larry climbed the fence and dug me a Redbud tree.  Arnold Bowden and Wayne Hawkins (lives in Georgia)gave us a Catalpa tree.  The Walnut trees came from Ray and Clara Boyd.  Larry left the Ash tree in the fence row because he said it’d be a marker.  A huge Persimmon was once a little tree at the edge of a big garden that grew smaller and smaller as we aged.  Larry’s Mom liked Maples and every one was planted by her hand.  Papa George Wheatley bought the Tulip Poplar.  Ethel placed a cement block around the huge Oak so it wouldn’t get mowed down when it wasn’t even a foot tall. Tommy Spencer gave us the two Saw Toothed Oaks and the wild plum came from atop Crow Mountain given by   Bernie and Betty Hewitt.  The Pin Oaks, Sycamores,  and Black Gums were carefully bushed hogged around when Larry mowed the Meadow.

Today I saw trees that I don’t have.  One was a Holly Tree.  Yes, it has pretty red berries.  A Cucumber Tree is a type of Magnolia.  Also, the Park has several Bald Cypress trees.  Trees are special to me.  It takes many years for them to grow tall and strong and they watch over goings on below their boughs.  Sometimes, I think Galla Meadow is too much for me to look after.  But how could I continue living without my Meadow.



Tupelo Black Gum and close up of Holly tree
Redbud
Big Black Gum in fence row
Tulip Poplar and Maple

Ash and Bald Cypress 

 

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

Very neat trees! But don't you have a lot of leaves?