Monday, January 23, 2023

Cornbread

I can’t cook some things now but I can still bake cornbread.  I like the top of mine brown.  I add an egg. Momma did not put egg or sugar in hers.  Cornbread is an old American food.  Natives dried or roasted corn and ground it into a meal for making bread, cakes and porridge. Cornmeal did not ruin quickly.  It kept many of my ancestors from starving to death.  Before long, the settlers were creating American dishes made from cornmeal. They baked a version of Indian bread made of cornmeal, salt and water called pone or corn pone. Pone came from the Algonquin word apan, meaning "baked." The Narragansett word for cornbread, nokechick, became no-cake and then hoe-cake. Because cornbread traveled well, some began calling it journey cake, which evolved into the name Johnny cake.  Call it whatever you want.  Hillbillies like me call it good.


 

5 comments:

Donna. W said...

I put two eggs in my cornbread, simply because that's the recipe I got long ago from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It's 1 cup corn bread, one cup flour, one cup milk, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup oil or shortening, and 1 tablespoon baking powder. I was reading a book the other day about old-time southern cooking and found out they didn't use any flour in their corn bread. That's one thing I'm not going to change, because everybody tells me my cornbread is the best; I tell them it isn't the recipe, it's the cast iron skillet that makes it good.

Galla Creek said...

I don’t put flour. Momma didn’t either, but I always use a iron skillet or those cob iron pans.

Donna. W said...

Yes, that corn bread gets a crispy crust on the bottom with a cast iron skillet, and that's what makes it so good.

Margie's Musings said...

I haven't made cornbread in years. Of course I don't cook much anymore.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You should share your recipe, because yours looks great!