Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Bad Hair

 Fleta, Patsy and I all have "bad hair".  Our hair is fine and packs on our head.  Growing up we had to carry our water.  We washed our hair once a week.  It was a chore.  You carried the water, heated it in a tea kettle, washed and rinsed.  I bet we often did not get the soap out.  By the time Helen was in high school, the family had running water, but Patsy, Fleta and I had to really work to take a bath or wash our hair.  

After our hair was washed, we used brush rollers.  You would roll your hair around the roller and stick a pick through it.  We did not have a hair dryer and so you had to sleep in the rollers for your hair to dry and curl even a little.  Oh, how it hurt to sleep with all those brushes poking you.  I can recall having a net to put over the rollers to help keep the garb all together.  Aunt Barbara used bobby pins and made pin curls all over her head.  When she and Richard married, sometimes she would come to our house with her hair all pinned down.  I was amazed and tried to pin curl mine, but my unruly hair did not cooperate.  

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

Yep, once a week I got my hair washed. My mom put up the ironing board so it was higher than the kitchen table. She put a pan of water on the table and had me dunk my head in it. Of course, I only got a "real" bath once a week, too. In a round washtub on Saturday night. I got sponge baths in between.
Hey, I survived, and I wouldn't trade my childhood for anybody else's.