Thursday, August 25, 2022

Fragile Moth



 I saw this in my yard today.  The Polyphemus moth is a North American member of the family Saturniidae, the giant silk moths.  It is a tan-colored moth, with an average wingspan of 6 inches.  The most notable feature of the moth is its large, purplish eyespots on its two hindwings. The eyespots give it its name – from the Greek myth of the cyclops Polyphemus.   

Moths are fragile.  See his wings.  He’s been hurt.  There is damage.  He’s just a little guy.  I grew up poorer than a church mouse.  I made it through 3 years of college, but it was so hard.  In 1970, I took out a Stafford loan—$1000.00.  Most of it was forgiven.  After I started teaching, I filled out a form each year.  It was certified by my school.  Ten percent a year was forgiven.  That’s equal to the 10,000 poor folks are getting forgiven by this bill.   But in our country helping big business is ok but help for the misfortunate is scorned.  Something is amiss.  

2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Just Beautiful!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We had student loans too but paid them back month by month.
I don't know what to think about it all, my Grands might benefit...:)