Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Waited too Long

 

My Grandmother lived in a big house on Springfield Street, Green Forest.  Grandpa died in 1954.  She was only 63.  She sold her farm and bought a house in town and took in boarders.  She was self sufficient.  When I was growing up, my Grandmother was always there in her two story house in town. I did visit with her a lot, but I wish I had taken time to see more in her heart and mind. I could have spent 100s of afternoons learning of her hardships, joys, and early life. I did not. I stayed with her like it was a hotel. Oh, if I could go back and have another chance, I would love to talk once more to her.

I wish I had another chance

To talk to my Grandmother!

Oh, the questions I would ask

About her father, sisters, brother!

Oh, to have just one more visit

Sitting in that old porch swing--

I would find out each detail

I'd ask about everything!

Grandma's gone; it's too late,

But I am going to do my part

So all of my grandchildren

Know about my life, my heart!

Grandma’s house 1910 and 2010.

3 comments:

happyone said...

So sad!

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, it is sad!

Far Side of Fifty said...

She had a big home! I think we all feel the same way about our Grandmothers! My Paternal Grandmother died when I was almost 4 years old so I did not get an opportunity to know her only through others. :)