Sunday, January 25, 2015

Least Said, Soonest Mended

Sweet Greta ready for church today!
 Jonell sent me a book that used this phrase.  She said she loved the book because of reading this phrase in it.  Her Grandma Rudd used the little saying and to see it in print brought back those memories.  She called Billy Joe's Mom, MeeMaw!  Least said, soonest mended would be good advice for all of us.  If we think something and can keep from saying it, we are better off.  Words we use can build walls that can never be removed.  I have a problem with saying things and I am striving to control my tongue.  Words can be little swords spurting from our mouths that rip at others.

Momma loved Tony as he came to see her and Dad often.  She loved getting to fix dinner for him when he worked on the farm near them.  

Yesterday, after reading the comment posted by Sister about Mrs. Combs knowing that Momma's folks did not treat her well hurt my heart.  By others knowing, credence was given to the story we heard from Dad.  Mom never responded by saying mean things about her parents or her sisters.  I thought back and could not recall Momma saying mean things about anyone really.  She lived by the motto--"least said".  I, also, relish in the knowledge that Mom's Mother, Grandma Gaddy, knew how lucky my Momma was in the end.  She even told me so.  I heard it from her lips--"Your Momma was the lucky one", she said.  Why?  Grandma continued, "because she has all of you".  Having family that love us is a blessing, indeed.  I have a loving husband, two great daughters, five wonderful grandchildren!  As Helen would say--I am blessed today! 



s

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

“If you your lips would keep from slips,
Five things observe with care;
To whom you speak, of whom you speak
And how, and when, and where.”

I learned that in the sixth grade. I only wish I had followed that advice all my life.