Monday, February 23, 2015

Woe and Despair



It is snowing hard and the temp is falling.  Tomorrow's high is 25 I think.  Woe, despair and agony on me!
 I filled all the feeders before this started and the birds love me.
 Sigrid has been begging for a puppy of her own.  Today Laura saw these on FB and Eric and Sig went to Vilona, AR.  She is thrilled.  It will be very small!

 At least I made it to the Library before the storm hit.  I got this book about Jerry Lee Lewis.  It is really good...partly because of who the author is--Rick Bragg.  He is a great story teller and the Killer has a lot of stories in his past.  Jerry Lee is still alive and kicking if he makes it to September of this year he will be 80.  He is a first cousin to Jimmy Lee Swaggart.  Their mother's were sisters--Minnie and Mamie Herron.  Jimmy Lee's grandmother was a sister to Jerry Lee's Dad.  So, Elmo Lewis was Jimmy Swaggart's Uncle and Minnie's Uncle too!  So Jerry Lee said Jimmy was his double first cousin.  Mickey Gilley's mother was Elmo's sister so Mickey was Jerry Lee's first cousin.  Jimmy Lee and Mickey were first cousins once removed....wow.  Plus when Jerry Lee was 20 something years old he married 13 year old Myra Brown.  She was his cousin too...not first cousin though.  My head hurts thinking about it so I am not going to figure out how but Rick Bragg explains it all. Fleta will have to get the book and explain how Jerry Lee and Myra are cousins.  

Rick went to Jerry Lee and asked if he could write the story of Jerry Lee's life.  Jerry Lee played Silent Night on the piano when he was four years old.  Elmo and Mamie and he went to his Aunt Stella's house and she had a piano.  He reached up to the keys and played Silent Night.  Elmo later mortgaged his farm to buy his son a piano.  Jerry Lee said he had the best parents on this earth.  When he was a boy,  Elmo went to the penitentiary twice.  The first time for illegal distilling.  The next time the law caught him with a gallon of moonshine in the truck and the judge gave Elmo 5 years in the Big House in Louisiana.   While Elmo was serving his 5 years his 9 year old son got run over by a log truck.  They took him to his son's funeral in hog chains.  With his first big check, Jerry Lee bought Elmo and Mamie a house in Ferriday, LA with hot and cold running water.  He promised his Mama if he ever made it big he would buy her a house first thing and he did.

Jimmie Lee told Jerry Lee he was going straight to hell.  Jerry Lee said--"what goes around comes around and it did".  He bought Jimmie Lee his first good car to go on the road holding revivals.  When Jerry Lee was about 19 he went to Bible College in TX.  They had an assembly and messed up letting Jerry Lee play the piano for it...he put a real up tempo on My God is Real!  They sent him home.  Jerry Lee was good friends with Elvis.  He said Elvis was the most pitiful human he ever met, miserable!  Elvis asked Jerry Lee why he did not get drafted and he said "I threw the notice in the Black River".

Read the book!  It is very entertaining.  Jerry Lee says "one thing I am not...is a liar!"  I guess he told Rick his true story!

7 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Well you may be telling the wrong sister to read it....I will try to get my hands on it tomorrow....I love bios on someone I k now something about....esp if it is written well..

Sister--Helen said...

AND...I have read Rick Bragg books before and I loved all of them

Sister--Helen said...

I have read books on Jerry lee before...none written by him...and none showed him in a favoriable light...after marrying his 13 year old cousin...2nd cousin I believe....he toured in london...they almost ran him out of the country..and I have read a loit about him and elvis....no love lost...get this...Elvis thought he was an immoral man

Sister--Helen said...

one time someone was supposed to follow his act...Jerry Leee thought he should be the main star so after his performance of great balls of fire he poured boose on the panino ans set it on fire...the guy that followed him did not play that pinano

Galla Creek said...

That is all in the book,

Guess Elvis agreed with jimmy lee!!

Galla Creek said...

He thought Elvis was really unhappy I gues is a way to say it,

Galla Creek said...

The Cousin was his 3rd, I think he was only 15 when he married the first one! His sister married at 12! Not moral is an understatement,

Bragg is a great writer , I bet u would like the book, jerry lee likes himself and that is one reason he is turning 80 and Elvis is dead. Elvis was very insecure,

Hope u can get the book,