Sunday, February 26, 2023

Be Kind

I bought a new cap.  I got it at Hobby Lobby—75% off—only 2.49!  I like what it says but I bought it to cover up my bad hair.  I always dread calling the lady that cuts my hair.  She whines and acts like she’s not sure if she’ll be able to keep the appointment.  This time a brother-in-law is sick and she might get called in to her other job at the gas station.  My hair is fine and hard to do anything with.  After Larry passed I just had it cut short.  Before then I wore it below my ears turned under.  I think I need to find someone else.  Someone closer.  This lady lives way out in the country and I drive a ways to her little shop.  I hate to change.  I kept the same job 39 years.  So I’m thinking about changing, but I know it will hurt this lady’s feeling.  What to do?  I can’t say I’m tired of burdening you with cutting my hair.  I always tip her and take her an 18 carton of eggs.

My friend will need a way to therapy Monday and Tuesday to the Dr.  I know she is ready to be “cut loose”  from these appointments.  She has no arthritic pain now.  I may have to have this surgery down the road and her experience has helped me see how it goes.  One would need someone who could drive you for awhile.  If you don’t want to go to rehab, you need to have someone with you all the time the first few days.  Getting old is really a rough walk at times.  I try to do the things I think one should to be healthy.  I drink water, no soft drinks.  I walk daily, but now 2 miles is a long walk for me.  I try to use my brain.  I work puzzles especially genealogical ones. I read. I crochet.  I keep chickens.  I mow my own yard, several acres.  I have weight bars and do upper body lifting.  Still, I feel I am not really that healthy.  I weigh too much.  I can tell my mind is not what it used to be.  I can’t think of names sometimes. Yes, and just words are a problem occasionally.  I repeat stories to my daughters and they say nicely, “yes, you’ve already told me”.  I get anxious if I have just a little problem.  So—what to do?  All I know to do is to keep pushing forward and continuing to try to do the things I know I should.  Still, I fail.

 

3 comments:

Arky Homestead Girl said...

Gigi,
You are a shining light to many in this time that we are walking through. Make yourself an appointment at the Mirage on Parkway. Ask for a lady named Jerri Kay. She is an awesome hair stylist that has had many years of service to the people of the River Valley. She will definitely make your hair lovely and brighten your day as well. She works on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Continue to be a beacon.

Anonymous said...

Good comment Arky!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I forget names and words sometimes too...I think at my age (71) that happens because our brains are so full of information it cannot keep every thing anymore. I can walk about 1 1/2 miles and then I am all tuckered out. I cannot do short hair...so mine ends up in an old lady bun:) My short hair days I had to "do" my hair everyday...that is so not me and I get bed head too:) We can only do the best we can:)