Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chicken Party In The Grass

 Today I used the panels from a portable dog kennel to make a chicken yard in front of my pen so my chickens could enjoy the green grass.  The Feist dogs will not bother them unless they get right up on them and then they might try to catch one.  I have 10 big hens.  Four black star (a sex link hen) and six red sex linked hens.  I have a bantie rooster and 5 mixed bantie hens.  I have 3 Welsummer hens.  I think I have 18 hens and the rooster.   They loved getting to eat the green grass today.  I sit outside and watched them and read my book for a long time.  I really do like chickens.  I love watching them run for a bug or just scratch for a worm!  I got 8 eggs, 2 bantie and 6 large eggs.

Now, I don't plan to leave that ugly thing in front of my pen.  I just put it there so I could let my hens out of the pen. You can see there is not a blade of grass in their pen.







1 comment:

patsy said...

you should be getting lots of eggs.
we get about 12 a day.