Tuesday, December 5, 2017

5th Grade

Here I am in grade 5!  Wow, and there is Jonell very near!  Our teacher was Alice Widner!  This is the year I told Mrs. Widner that I had no money for lunch and would just sit in the room and wait.  Can you believe she let me!  When the class was safely down the sidewalk, I ran all the way to Green Forest and bought candy with my 15 cents.  There was no free lunch then.  I bought that powder kool aid like stuff for a penny and poured in into my mouth.   Looks like ole Alice would have noticed my red tongue after lunch!  Sometimes, I talked Sandy D. to going with me.  I sure had an imagination!

This was also the year that Dad had a nervous breakdown.  He was in the Veteran's Hospital for a while.  Fleta and I milked the cows and heaved the milk cans into the cooler.  Clayton drove the school bus.  We all pitched in and made it through a tough time.  Richard was married to Barbara.  He drove Mom to Fayetteville.  He also paid for cow feed for the cows.  He worked at Evan's Feed Mill. 
Gilbert was born in July of 1961.  Over 50 years have passed,  time marches on.

No comments: