Friday, December 8, 2017

Brrr 16 Degrees

Erin sent this to me early this morning.  It was 21 degrees here in Galla Meadow.  Growing up we only had a wood stove.  Momma got up early and got a fire going.  Fleta and I had to gather kindling for her to start it with.  We often dressed near the wood stove for school.  We had a gas cook stove in the kitchen and she would have the oven on high to start breakfast.  We often had oatmeal, homemade biscuits, bacon.  We were allowed to drink coffee if we wanted it.   We fixed it half milk so it was warm.  Sometimes, Mom made cinnamon rolls out of the left over biscuit dough.  I recall Daddy putting a pan of ashes under the car to warm up the oil so it would start.  We were poor, but rich!  I can never recall feeling I was not "as good" as someone else.

It is cool in the house this morning.  I can turn up the central heat if I want to.  I did not have to look on the rock quarry for kindling to start a fire today.  Thankful today.

No comments: