Sunday, December 31, 2017

Deep Freeze

Laura's family made it home late last evening.  They came by and got their 3 dogs.  I am on the laptop and saw these pictures of Asti and Phoebe when she first came to live on Galla Creek!   Phoebe was totally upset that Astrid left her, but I never mentioned it as there was nothing to do about it and I did not want Astrid to worry.   I know Phoebe was overjoyed to be with her mistress again.  I guess it was about midnight when they got here.
This week I have read a book by Bette Davis' assistant about  her time with Bette.  It read fast and I was not surprised by much.  Kathryn Sermak was her personal assistant for about 20 years.  Bette left half her estate to Katheryn.

I am not surprised when I read about actresses and find they were not nice people, but I enjoyed reading of her life never the less.  What I will remember from the book is how to cook a Bette Davis egg.   She had one each morning and Kathryn had to fix it after becoming her hire.  Boil water in a pot.  Kath used an electric kettle when they were in a hotel room.  Bring it to a full boil.  Place one egg in the kettle and turn it off.  If a pan is used, it must be one with a lid.  Bette had Kathryn leave her egg 3 minutes.  Then Kath was to pour out the water and replace it with cold water for one minute.  They cut the egg in half and ate it out of the shell.  I peeled mine and placed it on dry toast.  Three minutes was not enough for me.  Egg was what I call raw!  Next morn, I tried 5 minutes--still under cooked.  Seven minutes was perfect for me.  I have had this several mornings and then had my oatmeal for lunch.

To enjoy a Bette Davis egg, one has to like a poached egg.   I love them.  Daddy liked a poached egg too.  I want the white completely cooked and the yellow about half cooked.  Seven minutes makes a perfect egg for me!  I peel it after the minute in the cold water and place it on my dry toast.  It is very delicious!  Thank you, Bette Davis!

1 comment:

Sister--Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.