Sunday, April 8, 2007

Wanda's Dumplins!

This is my friend Wanda. She worked in the
lunchroom at my school for over 20 years.
When she retired, she gave me a little recipe
book of some of her favorite things to make.
Now, I have made several of the recipes and
have to admit the stuff I make is not as good
as Wanda's...but still good. I made her chicken
and dumplins yesterday because it was cold
here and it sounded good.

You boil a whole chicken. Wanda is health
minded. She said the recipe was better without
chicken skin. So after the chicken is done,
you take all the meat and none of the skin.
Put the meat and broth in the refrigerator and
cool it. This way all the fat will come to the top
and you can skim it off. Wanda said to cook the
chicken stock one day and the dumplins were
for the next day's meal.

To make her dumplins you simply put:
2 cups flour
1 t. salt
1 cup chicken broth
1 whole egg
Roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inch thick
cut into small squares

Drop into the broth/chicken mixture which
needs to be boiling. Cook until the dumplins
are tender. Do not cook with a lid. You can
thicken the mixture with some milk and
flour when the dumplins are tender.

It is really good. The Sisters grew up eating
chicken and noodles. Our mother made
homemade egg noodles. Her mother was from
a northern state and I guess there they eat
chicken and noodles. Mom's were out of this
world. My husband was born in the Arkansas
and he does not like the noodle dish as he
grew up having dumplins. So my kids have
had chicken and dumplins. I guess this is how
traditions die out.

We are having Petit Jean ham today! Laura
is cooking it with apricot sauce, I think. Catch
you later!

Happy Easter!

13 comments:

patsy said...

grandma powell was the egg noodle cook. she made them from egg yellows only rolled thin and then lay a tea towel over the back of a chair and hung the noodles to dry for several hours when she droped them in the rich , skin , bone and fat chicken broth they soaked up all the flavor and were delicious.
you can have your fat free chicken noodles they are not fit to eat!

patsy said...

helen called me once and said she wanted to make egg noodles. said she had bought skinless chiCKIN breast and was boiling them . wanted to know what to do next. I SAID THROW THE MESS OUT THE BACK DOOR AND FORGET IT. YOU CAN'T MAKE CHICKEN DUMPLINS OR NOODLES FIT TO EAT WITH OUT FAT.

Anonymous said...

I thought mine were pretty good. You can leave the skin and fat but I will be sick all night!
Sis 3

Annie said...

Hi Sister3 and Patsy, and Helen too, I've made chicken and dumplings just like Wanda's for years now. They make me swoon with happiness, so good. My sister was the one who taught me how to make it so I always think of her when I do.

dot said...

Sister, I've never been able to make dumplings but I do boil the chicken like Wanda does and put in the fridge and pick the fat off later. Then I use the flour tortillas torn into strips. Me and you are still just alike on many things. You ain't got to have all that fat to make them good!!

Wanda is a real sweet looking lady. Hope you will share some more of her recipes with us.

Sister--Helen said...

What Pat said is true.....I am so fat cautious I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and it was not fit to eat.....

So the next time I tried boneless skinless breasts and added a little butter.... guess what that did not work either.....

Sooooooo next time I used bonesless skinless chicken breasts and bought brown home grown eggs being assured that the eggs must be the problem because the noodles tasted like crap....guess what, still not fit to eat.....

so I gave in and went out and bought a whole chicken and made sure I threw in the tail which is all just fat and they were delicious. Pat was right, but they contain so much fat I can only eat 2 ot 3 noodles or I get sick....My kids ALL love them. Mike does not but oh well I make them for my kids all of the time and they are thrilled...You are just a lot nicer to Larry than I am mike...

We had honey baked ham at Melissa's...it was really good...

Anonymous said...

Well, Pat, Helen, and Annie...I have to admit...I did not put the chicken in the fridge and let the fat come to the top and skim it off...yep, you guessed it Patsy, I left all the fat in the broth. Guess that is why they were good. I did not put the skin from the chicken skin, though. So I did pretty good. Sis 3

Sister--Helen said...

She is skinny....how good of a cook can she be?????

Sister--Fleta said...

After you cook the chicken skin, you can go ahead and eat it, cause the fat is then in the broth. That would be a good diet for you Betty, boiled, refrigerated chicken skin. Send me the rest of the chicken and the broth.

Anonymous said...

Wanda is a great cook. She gave me a meatload recipe too. It called for 10 pounds of ground beef. I said...Wanda...10 pounds of ground beef...she said well, I do work in a lunch room!

She made the best pink fluffy stuff out of cottage cheese, pineapple, cool whip, ok, I tried it and mine was not nearly as good.

Sis 3

Anonymous said...

Well, I should have typed
meat loaf. me

Tina Leigh said...

I was going to make some to go with Easter dinner but never could get to town to get all that I needed & now Danny is beggin for some dumplings. Can we just come to your house & have some?

Galla Creek said...

Tina, you had better stay home. Send Danny. When he and Larry get through fishing Galla Lake, hunting Galla woods, farming Galla meadow, and eating dumplings, we will send him hope. He will never be satisfied in Georgia, again, though, he will dream of the Ozarks forever.