Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas Past


 Above and below I took at Laura's yesterday when we went for cake.

Today I was thinking about Christmas at home and I remembered several.  Daddy always went to get us a tree and Momma would say get a small one.  Daddy and his helpers always came home with a huge tree that would barely go in our little living room  I recall that we bought those tin foil icicles but made most of the decorations.  Aunt Betty sent me a pretty necklace once.  We had such few pretty things to put on the tree that we hung the sparkling necklace there.  When they took the tree out, they took away my pretty necklace.  The tree was burned and so went my necklace from Aunt Betty.  I don't even recall what it had one it but I think it was a locket.

One Christmas Fleta and I got dolls and I remember they were in shoe boxes.  Daddy told Richard that they would surprise Clayton with a pocket knife and they put in his boot so when he put his foot in he would find it.  Clayton thought they only got gifts for the little ones.  Richard did not think he was getting anything.  Which was fine with him, I am sure.  Well, Richard put his foot in his boot first and he felt the knife there.  He was sure they had put the pocket knife in the wrong boot.  Still not realizing that Daddy had gotten a knife for him too.  I am always sad at Christmas time, but Daddy loved Christmas.  He was generous and loved having fun and a big meal.  He was full of Christmas spirit.  He always reminded us that it was not really Jesus' birthday and that really has stuck with me.

One Christmas Daddy bought gifts at Walmart and the woman said something like $21.50 to which Daddy said "oh, no, it is more than that".  She was sort of hateful saying the register was correct so Daddy paid, but I think the story was that the bill should have been 121.50 or something like that.  We were really poor so it was a nice Christmas gift from Walmart!

No comments: