Monday, December 1, 2014

Everything Changes

 When I started going to the library here in my town, it was in a small building next to this newer one.  Sometimes Laura, Erin and I would all go together and look for books to read.  In 1993 or 1994 Erin started working there and continued off and on for almost 10 years.  She also worked at the Tech Library.  She still knows what reference number you would go to find a book.  I continue go to the library every week or two.  I mostly go to the new book section and look at the non fiction.  Once in a while, I will try to read a fiction book.  Helen, the girls have read Gone Girl.  It is a murder mystery and a movie has been made recently.  I have it but am having trouble reading it.  I have not given up.

Now, the library is filled with folks waiting to get on the computer.  I always look and think "wow"! I don't believe any of these patrons are interested in reading a "real" book like I enjoy.  They are looking for jobs, emailing family, looking for love, and sometimes viewing nasty photos!  All at the local library!  I think it is a good thing that the library has computers and patrons can go there and use them.

I like the Arkansas Room at my library.  All the Arkansas authors are located there.  They also have a new book section and the girl who runs that part of the library knows me.   She will say "I think you might like this" or "how about this book?"   Janis F. Kearney grew up near Gould, AR.  on Varner Road.  Look at that word "VARNER".  What does it draw to mind?  Well, to me I think of the Varner Unit of the AR Prison System.  JFK grew up near this Prison.  She is one of 19 children.  I first read her memoir about her father and then went back and found this book about her life.  Bill Clinton befriended the Kearney children.  I think all of them graduated from College.  About 5 of the boys are lawyers.  I enjoyed this book and passed it on to Laura.  I would not buy it.  I don't really like buying books.  I never know quite what to do with them after I  finish reading them.  I want to keep very few.  While reading this book, I thought of my own childhood in poverty and realized there are always others in more direr conditions.  You just need to look about.

Patsy's funeral will be Wednesday at 10:00 A. M.  I have been thinking of a perfect day to die and November 28 is a great day.  You will not have to pay the high heating costs to keep warm all winter. You won't have to deal with that commercial holiday--Christmas.   I was also thinking of the perfect place to die and I thought "Oh, no better than a beautiful Hospice House where they make sure you are not in pain and attend to your every need and want"!  If you were in a home and a wrinkle in the sheet under you caused a hurt so great that you could not move, your Sisters could not pull you up in bed, how huge and dreadful that one little wrinkle would become.  If you have an anxiety problem, the Hospice Home has meds for that.  You can have peace of mind that you are not a burden on your family and friends.  They can visit in comfort with no expense if they want to stay the day or days and even nights.  The Hospice House will feed and care for them too.  You might even get a beautiful hand crocheted afghan!  We all are born and our time will come.  I told Patsy it was written in sand but her wisdom said "no, stone".  We come into the world screaming and kicking.  I don't want to go out that way and neither did Sister!

No comments: