Saturday, December 20, 2014

Visiting An Old Friend

 I talked my friend Kay into going to visit our friend Mary who lives on top of the world near Hagarville, AR.  We got lost 3 or 4 times but finally found her place.  I told Kay that I thought Mary was 84, but come to find out she is 85.   She lost her husband about a year ago.
 Mary gave me a neat bird feeder.  I hate to hang it outside.


 Granny Renfroe's Uncle Joe Humphrey lived on this place until he died in 1944.  He bought the house at auction on the court house steps in Russellville.  The place was homesteaded by will Tumbleson.  His son got sick and he got the Doctor to come out to see the sick boy who died. He shot the Doctor.  He was tried and said--I did not mean to kill the Doc or I would not have shot him in the knee I would have hit his heart. Will's family had to sell the place to hire a lawyer to defend him in his trial!   Mary and her husband bought the place in another auction on the court house steps.  Joe's kids could not settle on how to divide the place when his wife died and the place was sold again.  Bill and Mary bought it that way in 1984.  They built a small house and moved there.  Mary is still there surrounded by Ozark  National Forest in the middle of no where!
Mary's chickens.  Below is about half way up the mt. to Mary's place.
Piney Creek is below us there.
Mary's daughter was visiting from San Antonio.  See the wood stove. Mary heats with wood.  Kay and I taught with Mary about 15 years.  She retired in 1989.  Our last visit to her homestead was about 1990 almost 25 years ago.
 Granny's Uncle Joe's house still stands on Mary's place.

No comments: