Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Artic Day & Toboggan Hat

It is supposed to be above freezing today.  We will feel like a heat wave has arrived.  It was 16 this morning.  
 Erin wanted me to give her the recipe for chocolate gravy.  Mine looks about like this picture I found on a cooking site.
Put about 2 cups of milk in a bowl heat in microwave for about 4 minutes--I scald it.
In an old cool whip container mix a half a cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 2 tablespoons of flour and a pinch of salt--stir around with a spoon and then add a cup of water.  Mix together until the flour is all mixed in good.
Take hot milk out of microwave and stir in chocolate mixture.
Return to microwave for 2 minutes, take out and stir
Return to microwave for 2 more minutes.  It would be thick after this 4 minutes.  If not return 2 more minutes.
I add a little butter and a lot of vanilla.  Serve over biscuits!

My school lunchroom made chocolate gravy out of water--no milk.  I don't like it made out of water.  It was runny and darker.

Found this picture of Astrid and Sigrid that Astrid had sent me.  Sigrid got her new phone and it is working great she said.  Laura ordered the wrong one.  If you have ever ordered from Amazon, you will know that it's pretty easy to order the wrong thing when there is a long list with similar names.  But we sent the first phone back and Sig has the one she wanted.  Laura saved quite a lot getting it from Amazon.  Eric then took it to ATandT and had it connected.
I made Laura two toboggan hats this week.  I am going to post the directions--only for me to understand of the one made with rounds.
chain 4 and join
dc 6 times in the ring
dc 3 times in each dc making 18 dc
increase on every third dc, increase by 2, making 24 on next round
increase again making 32
increase again making 43
increase again making about 57
continue rounds joining each round until the hat is 7 inches long
last 7 rounds single crotchet, finish off

Erin wanted the recipe for my biscuits.  Mine are not like Momma's.  She baked huge, fluffy ones.  Ethel's were smaller and dense.  I cook more like Larry's Mom.  So Erin
put about a cup and a half of self raising flour in a bowl
add about a half stick of butter or shortening--cut in like pie crust
add milk until it was follow the spoon
add a little flour onto a walmart plastic sack
work a little and roll out and cut with a small cutter--maybe 2 inches
put some shortening on a flat pan--like a small cookie cutter
Bake in hot, hot oven--at least 430 degrees--until tops are brown!

2 comments:

Erin said...

What do I do if I don't have a cool whip bowl?

Galla Creek said...

Buy some and let Clayton eat it all.

I use a plastic sack to roll it out on so I can just throw it in the garage when done.