Tuesday, January 23, 2018

My Recipe--No Recipe!

This is for Amy~Patsy!  My recipe is no recipe.  I used to use recipes but now I think I am just too smart for them I guess.  I cooked roast in the Instant Pot Sunday and I made rolls.  Amy wanted the recipe!  Ha, Ha!!  Sister Fleta knows my recipe is no recipe!  But I will try to tell what I do to make rolls.  Momma made hot water rolls.  They are really light.  Amy you might want to try it, but I used milk.

First, I buy yeast at Sam's in a big pkg.  It is cheap is why I do it.  For about 3 bucks you can get enough to last until you DIE if you are my age.

Put some warm water in a bowl...about half a cup.  I just get the water from the hot water tap.  Add yeast!  I measured it.  3 Tablespoons.  Set aside.  If it does not bubble up...your water was too hot.  I know this from experience.  If that happens.  Throw it out and do it again.

Now, put some milk in a big, big bowl!  I used about a cup.  Add a half stick of butter--please use real butter!  Add a half a cup of sugar and a T. of salt.  Amy, don't tell Laura you added half a cup of white sugar.  Tell her you put in a pinch of honey!  lol

Now put this in the microwave for 30 seconds--check?  Is the butter melted? No, well do it again, girl!  Remember no recipe! Butter melted? Well, add about a cup of white flour---don't use self rising like Laura.  We are not the Pioneer Woman!  Mix this with a big spoon.  It is is warm and not hot, add the yeast mixture....if it is hot...your rolls are ruined and you need to throw them out!  Mix yeast and flour and the mixture will be loose.  Grandma Powell did it like this.  Put the loose mixture in the oven and turn on the oven light.  Cover it up with a towel--can be a paper one!  Leave until it bubbles.   About 30 minutes.

Add flour to the loose mixture until it is thick!  Now, get a Wal-Mart plastic sack and put a little flour on it, turn thick dough out and knead it.  I like to do it like this as you can pull the edge of the sack up and it is easy to knead.  Knead the rolls until the dough is not very sticky or as long as you can stand it!

Oil you dirty bowl with shortening or butter.   Just do this over the little bit of mess left on the side of the bowl from mixing it up before!  Who wants to do a bunch of dishes.  Amy, if you want to wash a bunch of dishes--get a clean bowl.  Place bowl ball back into the dish and put back in oven with the light on.  Let rise until double in size at least.  Probably an hour or so!

Put shortening in a metal pan...don't use spray oil...it tastes bad!  Now, turn the dough over in the greasy bowl and pinch off rolls.  My recipe made a big pan...I think about 18.  Put the rolls back in the oven with the light on!  Let rise again until doubled.  Remove and preheat oven.  I  bake my at 375 degrees and put my timer on 20 minutes so I will not burn them, but probably it will not take 20 minutes!  I turn the broil on at the last and brown the tops as Larry wants them that way.  When I take them out of the oven, I put REAL butter on top so they will not be hard.  Some like crusty tops.  If you do, don't do this step.

So there is my no recipe for rolls.

I have already solved the mystery of the DNA match.  The person was someone I knew so I had to decide what to do.  Yes, I prayed.   I told the DNA doner who her mother was.   I don't know how the story will end as my part is over.  But I did what I thought I should and what I felt the Lord would wanted me to do.  Nancy said--thank you--and then added--it does not seem enough!  She was 54 years old yesterday and I gave her a gift she wanted so badly!  My devotional today was about witnessing.   If the Holy Spirit is within us we will witness!  The Holy Spirit is His Light!  So, it will shine and others will see Jesus within us!  We will continually witness!  When we have Light we must feed the light.  I think we do this by doing His Work!  If you have fire and do nothing it will go out!  The Lord has promised that once we receive Him, He will be there.  We are saved, but I feel He is so happy when we stoke the fire, feed the Light!  Build a bomb fire for Him!  What a witness we are then!

I have been exploring a child psychologist!
 She has several books--Dr. Teresa Margaret Nebl Sull!  Oh, she is Aunt Thelma's Granddaughter!  The books are not expensive.   I may order some of them.  Her husband Don is an author too!  His books are about business!

Clayton has grown out of his size 10 shoes!  Lordy, that boy has a good foundation!

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

I use all purpose flour. I do not buy self rising.

Sunshine said...

You never have put the cornbread recipe on here. Amy must rank higher than me.

Anonymous said...

Gigi-

Thank you so much for the "My Recipe--No Recipe!" I'm definitely going to try it.

I'm glad you solved the DNA mystery.

I loved your devotion and thank you for sharing it with me. I love how you worded it..."Feed the Light" That is our is our job to keep the fire kindled. I want my light to shine for Him. I know that I often fail but He gives me new mercies each day. What a wonderful Saviour we serve. ~Amy-Patsy

Anonymous said...

I'll take the cornbread recipe too. I always think the old tried and true recipes are better.
Again, Thank you Gigi for the wonderful roll. ~Amy-Patsy