Sunday, April 5, 2015

Dogwood And More

 The Dogwood down the lane is not quite ready.  They are pale green at first and then turn white--purely.
 Larry mowed for the first time today.  Mostly mowed weeds.  I tried to help by moving things out of his way.
 My Irises are the next to bloom.  The flower beds Larry built sure make them healthier.
 I have this in one flower bed.  Patsy told me what it was but I have forgotten and I can not ask her that time has past me by.  It is lush and pretty and will have one bloom on a stock...and then an orange bulb will come in the fall.  They are an old fashioned flower...so pretty and easy to raise. I dug them up out of the yard and put them here.
 My friend Mary gave me this.  I have it on Galla Creek Lane last fall I brought over some seeds and sprinkled them here.  They grow like weeds.  One year they bloom like this and then the next year an hour glass will appear.  I like them because Mary gave them to me.  Another old flower.
 Grandma Gaddy's hens and chickens are doing great.
 I like the mint because Fleta gave it to me.
I am not good with roses but Larry built this bed for this one that his Momma had and it is really lush this spring.  Fleta and Helen--go over to Patsy's place and dig up all the flowers and move them to the home place.    Sammy will not care!
Helen here is what the Dogwood looks like when fully bloomed.  Will be about a week before mine looks like this one.  I took this last year.
An old and beautiful legend has it that, at the time of the crucifixion, the dogwood was comparable in size to the oak tree and other monarchs of the forest. Because of its firmness and strength it was selected as the timber for the cross, but to be put to such a cruel use greatly distressed the tree. Sensing this, the crucified Jesus in his gentle pity for the sorrow and suffering of all said to it: "Because of your sorrow and pity for My sufferings, never again will the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a gibbet. Henceforth it will be slender, bent and twisted and its blossoms will be in the form of a cross -- two long and two short petals. In the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints -- brown with rust and stained with red -- and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see this will remember.

2 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

I did know the legend of the dog wood..I love it...I remember the one we had in the field above the big pond...above to me meaning towards Fleta's house..I guess it just died out

Sister--Helen said...

oh and love the pics