Sunday, June 30, 2013

I Remember Your Eyes

The picture is of Ma Barker.  She married Dillard's first cousin's (Bertha White) father in law's brother.  So I think that makes Tony and Kelly kin to the Barker gang! lol

After I got back from Erin's, I went to gas up.  I went to Kroger's as I get a discount on a tank of gas a month and it was the end of June and I had not used my discount.  A young man was in front of me.  I have to pay and then fuel up.   I don't use a credit card for gas so everywhere I have to go give them money first.  This young man was doing the same--plus--he was buying 4 packs of Marlboros.  They were a dollar off.  The checker was an old lady--older than me.  I waited and waited. It seemed to take forever. He did not have his Kroger card for his discount and could not remember his phone number, but he remembered me! He turned and smiled.  "I know you," he said.  I looked and thought "oh, I know your eyes'.  But I just smiled and said "6th grade Russellville Middle School!"  "Mrs. Renfroe" he almost shouted.  You remember me I am Connie K.'s  (forget the name) son!  I told him I did remember his eyes.  There was no need to explain it to him as I guess I looked about the same but I taught 40 years and I had 6 classes each year with 25 plus in each class that comes to 150 times 40.  But yes, I remembered his eyes.  I was staring at his arm.  He had his last name tatooed in 2 inch letters down his left arm. He held it up for me to see.  What do I say--"well, you won't forget your last name".  He smiled and showed me his right arm which read Madelyn in the same HUGE letters.  He explained..."you see, I thought she was my daughter but turned out she belonged to someone else".  (I pictured dna test, child support hearing, etc.)  But he added quickly--"I do have a daughter down in Florida, anyway"  but..."oh, I don't get to see her".  Then he grabbed me into a bear hug.  when I prepaid, he ran and started my gas.  I could tell he remembered more about me than I did him.  He said he was 28...I said well, you were 11 when I knew you and now you look different "but I do remember your eyes!"

I guess I was good to him because after all that time he remembered a lot more about me than I did about him, but still I wish I could remember more than just his eyes!

No comments: