Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Bartering

 I sent eggs and cabbage to my new Patsy and I got Rasberry Jam and a white cross to mark my Forgotten Dreams burial ground.   I got 10 eggs today.  Larry carried eggs to two older waitresses at the coffee shop and one sent me two jars of homemade pickles.  I gave Laura a jar.  So no telling what I will get back from Laura.
Barter
 Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up,
Holding wonder like a cup.

Life has loveliness to sell,
Music like the curve of gold,
Scent of pine trees in the rain,
Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
And for your spirit's still delight,
Holy thoughts that star the night.

Spend all you have for loveliness,
Buy it and never count the cost;
For one white singing hour of peace
Count many a year of strife well lost,
And for a breath of ecstasy
Give all you have been, or could be.
Sara Teasdale
Sara was born 1884 in St. Louis, MO.  She committed suicide in 1933.
 I bought this in the mark downs today at Lowe's.  It may be more of a bush.  I am leaving it in the pot for now.  I worked up courage to go to Lowe's to get cucumber plants.  Well, days for buying those are long past.  All I saw was watermelon and cantaloupe.

 I bought some type of moss and put in my two buckets.  I think it blooms.  We will see and be surprised.
 Momma loved moss and it reminds me of my sweet mother so I always want it when I see it.  I am tight but bought these two at Walmart--not on mark down.
 I fixed me a hanging pot out of an old minnow bucket took me forever but I got it down.  I connected a chain to the bucket.  Momma's moss is hanging at either end.  She would like it I know.  You will always know things your Momma would like when you see them.
 I bought some Grandma Powell Geraniums on mark down.  This one is pink and I stuck it in with my wild violet.  The one in the minnow bucket I think is red.  We will see as summer progresses.
Laura came home at 2.  Her school year is over.  The last 20 years I worked I never got out this early in May.  I think it is grand.  Sigrid quit school last Friday.  Her teacher suggested that she needed to come the 3 days this week, but she has a mind of her own and she decided they were not doing anything and she would just stay home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gigi,
I enjoyed your whole post today. The poetry was lovely. I love the fact that bartering is still happening today. I think Lara will come up with something very lovely. Your flowers are simply divine! Rose moss has long been a favorite of mine. I think the one in the pot may be an azalea. The bloom looks like it might be. Maybe this summer when I get out of school, I can come visit awhile and enjoy your meadow. ~Amy-Patsy

Margie's Musings said...

Portulaca is the real name for Moss Rose. I love it too. I love your flowers and the way you've displayed them.