Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cookin' like My Momma & Lunchroom Rolls

I made my first batch of chili out of the Greg scraps and a pound of hamburger. I put black beans and chili beans (pintos). One can each. A pkg. of walmart chili makings and some extra chili powder (Kroger brand). I put a entire can of best choice tomato juice. Now, it is in the crock pot on low. I will let you know if it is any good. Momma cooked by putting this and that in to the pot or bowl. I do the same. Fleta does too. Helen may follow recipes. I try to but am always tempted to put a little of this or that to the mixture!

The lunchroom lady can not sell her rolls anymore. Some new law! Pshaw! I hate it. They are so good and get as big as a saucer. She gave me her recipe. I am going to see if I can follow it and also wanted Erin to try it. Brenda said it is so easy that anyone can do it!
Lunchrooom Lady Rolls
6 cups of flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 pkg. of dry active yeast
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup of shortening

Mix 3 cups of flour with the sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Heat water and milk and shortening in a pan until it is just warm! (not boiling Erin, that will kill the yeast). Stir this mixture into the flour mixture. Beat at least 300 times. Erin, you can that $300 mixer I bought you. Stir in more flour a little at a time until dough is soft and leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead dough about 300 times or 10 minutes (Erin, this important!) Put dough in a greased bowl. Turn so all the dough will be greased. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. This should only be about an hour Brenda said. Punch down dough and get rid of all the air bubbles. Let stand 15 minutes. Make into rolls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover with towel or wax paper and let rise for about another hour. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Should make about 18 rolls.

4 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Erin that 300 dollar mixer will kneed it for you...always toss dough in a greased bowl to keep top soft you need to cover it...if a hard skin forms on top of the dough it stops the dough from rising properly....a turned off oven with the light on is a perfect place to let dough rise...

Sister--Helen said...

I will make these tomorrow....1/2 cup shortning is more than I think I usually add.

Galla Creek said...

Oops. Helen caused me to look and it is 1/4 cup of shortening! Sorry.

Erin said...

it's a good thing you read this helen. No telling what else is transcribed wrong. My mixer didn't cost $300. Just 200 I think. Mom did you tell Helen about the 'rolls' you made on Saturday? HAAA!