Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grandma's Show is Cancelled

CBS is pulling the plug on the soap opera "Guiding Light"
after a 72-year run that predates television, the show a
victim of the economy and changed viewing habits.
The drama's final episode will air on Sept. 18.
It began as a 15-minute serial on NBC Radio on Jan. 25, 1937,

and debuted on CBS TV in 1952.
This was Grandma Powell's sh0w. Remember she
watched it everyday and talked to the people on the
show. She had sent for a photo of the cast and had it
on her wall. Daddy watched the soap operas too when
he got so old he couldn't do much. Patsy do you watch
them? For many reasons, I don't think so.

4 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

granny had like 3 she watched straight in a row.....yes she would tell some unsuspecting man he was having a child......that so n so was running around on him ...and maybe someone else was faking a serious liilness...I have always had enough drama in my life I have never watched soaps since I was grown....heck my life is a soap opera....i could tell you stories....

Galla Creek said...

I never watched them either. Would not let the girls watch them...but they told me later they would slip around and watch if I were out side. Wonder what else they did that I did not know about. Well, today, neither of them watch soap operas. Train them up as you want them to go.

patsy said...

no soaps in my life. i don't watch tv much except news.

Galla Creek said...

Winnie reminded me on sister's blog...that granny liked as the world turns not this show...so Granny show is still alive.