Thursday, July 9, 2009

Helen G. Brown

I read this book about Helen Gurley. I am always fascinated--was her father the Ira that Grandpa Powell was so jealous of. Did Grandma must have a big crush on him. He went on to marry a Cisco from Osage. I always want to read about her because of her birth place--Green Forest AR. All through this book, I just found myself feeling so sorry for her. I would say she had a very misguided life. It all sounded like sadness to me. Of course, my favorite part is always the history of her family. Ira Gurley could have married Grandma. I am so glad he did not. Grandpa Powell was a much better catch.

Now, Grandma and Grandpa are not in this book. I am referring to the letters to each other before they married. Grandpa asked about her seeing Ira.

5 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

I read that book but I did not get the message that she could have married Grandpa...I must have been confused...

Galla Creek said...

The Ira is in letters from Grandpa to Grandma before they ever got married...no, it is not in the book. Helen knew nothing of Grandma or Grandpa.

Erin said...

there are lots of ira's... i bet ira was a common name in the time you are referring to.

patsy said...

I read an artical Helen g. wrote one time and it was the funniest thing I ever read.
She was a low moral single woman for years and had affairs all the time.
She wrote about this guy and they went to a tourist cabin and helen had forgot her diafame, her grandma had told her that women years ago soaked a spong in vinger and placed it in side of her to prevent getting pregrant.
helen went to a local small store to buy vinger and a sponge. They had the sponge but no vinger. They had hot peppers in vinger and helen bought a bottle for the vinger. she soaked the sponge in the vinger and they proceeded to have sex. The peppers set her pardner on fire. It was the funniest thing I ever read.

Anonymous said...

Ira Gurley was a teacher. He lived at Old Carrollton. he went to school somewhere else for a year. I think he was the one Grandma knew. Cleo Cisco was also a teacher. He never liked her husband but wished she had married another Carroll co. boy. After Ira was killed in the elevator accident...she found this guy and finally married him. He was an ice cream salesman...I got the idea he sold in out of a little truck or on the st. corner. Cleo was not happy with this guy either. Helen's sister had polio. Sounded like a very hard life to me. Sis 3