Friday, February 5, 2010

Granny and her Cousin, Aunt Una



Here is Una's family in 1900 near Carrollton. Her father was Anderson Taylor Coxsey.
Una is not on the Calendar this month. She was born in Aug. Una's mom was a Crockett and the family always said they were kin to Davy. Patsy said Prude married a Carl Bishop and Beulah married Jesse and Richard Powell's brother, John. Grandmother's Mother was Sarah Coxsey, whose father was Benjamin, whose father was Absolum. A. T.'s father was James whose father was John. Granny and Una were not very close kin folk. Patsy, Fleta...tell me how they were kin?
A T Coxay 37
Dillie Coxay 34
W G Coxay 13
Una Coxay 8
Beuellah Coxay 5
Prudy Coxay 1

2 comments:

Erin said...

This doesn't interest me at all.

Sister--Helen said...

Aunt Una and Grandma were very different. I do not know how they were while their children were growing up but I do remember Grandma after she moved across the street from Aunt Una.

Grandma and Aunt Una had a falling out. I have been told by Patsy it was over Una's one son not paying his way. Vernon that was his name. I do know Grandma was very jealous of Aunt Una. Grandma used to sit on her porch and talk about Aunt Una all of the time. Alot of it was how her kids took advantage of her. Grandma was always going on about Aunt Una's kids.

Now Sandy Powell and Eddy Powell and I were all in the same grade. I remember going to Sandy's house sometimes. Twice I remember them having a big get together at Aunt Una's. It was a big bunch both times and very loud. They gathered in the house and the back yard. Each of the kids wives may have brought a dish of something but Aunt Una was cooking in the kitchen and very much in charge.

Aunt Una cooked all of the time. Sometimes I would go over to Aunt Una's from Grandma's porch and Aunt Una always gave me something to eat. Homede cookies or cake and such.
Patsy said when Grandma was sick one time Aunt Una came over and sat on Granny's porch. She told Pat she was sitting there just in case Granny needed anything.

Also all of those other Powell's went to the Baptist church. I figure Aunt Una did also. Did Aunt Una even have a recipe in Grandma's cookbook. I will have to look.

Anyway I think the hard feelings were started by our Grandma. I think Aunt Una was a different kind of Mother than our Granny was. I imagine as long as Aunt Una was able to cook and clean all of the kids always went to her house for get togethers.