Monday, August 2, 2010

New School Clothes

The girls said not long ago--wonder if Gigi will take us shopping this year. And today we went. Astrid chose more tops and it seems like she has more, but Ingrid went for complete duds! Siggie's size is still 5 or less. She is a string bean. Her stuff costs less so she got more in total.

They tried on each outfit for Pop and he loved each one. When we pulled up to the house, Astrid asked her Mother if she could show Pop what she got so that is why I have a picture of each.

As I set and watched them, I remember picking material from the National Bella Hess catalog. I recall one year, Momma sewed the entire outfits on her fingers. I can recall a blue plaid with some pink and green in it. We each got 3 outfits. How her fingers much have hurt sewing it all by hand. She would sit out in the yard at night and work on the clothes. We were so proud of them...just like my girls today. Helen probably does not remember ordering material and Momma making all our stuff but I am sure Patsy and Fleta do. What a loving Momma she was.

I posted each outfit below under my girls names. Someday, I will have an entry labeled Greta Ann's New Garb!

4 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Very nice! They all look very nice!

Sister--Helen said...

I remember looking at material in a catalog and there were 2 or 3 squares on a page then in each sq there were smaller sqs of different prints and solids then it seems along the edge of the page there were about 1 inch squares that ran down the outside edge of the page. I do not remember Mama sewing all of the dress by hand...I do remember her doing a lot of hand work on them. I thought she had a sewing machine ever since I could remember

Sister--Helen said...

be sure to tell those girls the viewing made my day...next to Christmas 'Back to school' shoping is my favorite holiday...I did get to go with Benjamin and Missy this year. But I was pretty sick. For the 1st time I will not get to go back to school shoping with Mackenzie...It breaks my heart

Anonymous said...

MRS.BETTY this must be your blog, i will have to say you have some great pictures and reads. This one of your grand kids caught my attention.Where you said the girls call you GIGI, thought i would never hear that again.That is what my nephew calls his grandmother.lol small world. CRAIG ADAMS