Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sister's Black Hole Story

It is raining and the day is a little lazy....I got to thinking about Fleta's cave pictures and Patsy's cave story and combined them!

When we moved to the farm after daddy got out of the Navy, I believe it must have been late October, 1945 we lived in an old house that was built in front of a cave which was our water supply. I was scared to go into that cave because of snakes, copper head snakes no less. The pipe for the water went back and down into this room and some times the pipe would get knocked off the pipe that came out of the rocks when this happen Richard and me would have to take a Lantern and climb over these big rocks that looked like they had fallen from the ceiling of the cave down into the dark with only the lantern to see by which Richard always carried and tried to leave me in the dark. when we got down to the bottom there was a rickety old ladder and Richard would give me the Lantern to hold while he climbed the ladder and hooked the pipe back to the pipe coming out of the rock wall. I was scared to death all this time and telling Richard to hurry. I think he moved slow just to scare me more. When he climbed down the ladder he would take the Lantern back and climb out of the deep with me scrambling to keep up. The boy would put on some speed to try to leave me behind. We went into the cave because daddy told us to and I assure you I never went back into that cave after it wasn't necessary to get water. I know what terror is and it is in that cave.
">When you were at the back of the cave there was a rock wall which was about 10 foot high and someone years before our time had drove a pipe into the rock at the top of the wall. You could hear water falling behind that wall and there is no way to figure how much water is behind the rock wall. I asked daddy once in later years why he hadn't set a dynamite charge and blown thro' the wall which he could have done because he had used dynamite. Daddy said he didn't know how much water would come out of the cave and what would he say to his neighbors if a stream of water came out the size of the mouth of the cave? I thought about that awhile and told him perhaps he wouldn't have any neighbors after the water went down dry creek.
We found arrow heads in the plowed ground along dry creek and I have always thought Indians lived in the cave during their day. I heard one story about the first settler on our land being killed by Indians while they were trying to steal his horses. I also was told that dry creek was called "Jumping rabbit creek" by the Indians. This no doubt was referring to the cotton tail rabbits which was along the creek.

4 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Well, can't get that white out of the second paragraph. Fleta will hae to post the story. I copied the text in word pad and that is supposed to work but it did not.

Galla Creek said...

Well, got rid of the white...deleted background color, but now I have >"

Sister--Helen said...

Betty I posted some pictures and her story too

Sister--Helen said...

Betty I have been up since 2 AM... This used to be a real problem for me but I finially decided what did it matter if I woke up at 1 or 2 in the morning if I was not tired. Now I get up and make a pot of coffee. Read the blogs and news and do the things I usually do around 6 AM.. then if at 6 I am tired I lay back down....Once you retire you will not dread being awake at 2 AM..It is a pleasure to be up at any hour.....Or to lay down at any hour.