Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Price Matching

I went to Lowe's this morning with an ad from Home Depot!  I am afraid we are failing as educators today.  I am putting Phlox in one of my beds Larry made me. It is the one with the pretty Easter Lilies in it.  Home Depot had the 5.98 pots for 3 for 10 bucks.  I got 6.  The helper went with me to the checkout.  The check out lady was in her 40s or 50s and the garden department person was about 35.  They got me rang up and put the pots in at 10 each!  Whew.  Then I listened as they tried to figure out how much 3 for 10 was!  One tried to use her cell phone to divide 3 into 10.  Finally, she said well, I think it's 1.88 each and then said no, it is 2.98.  I did not say a word. Lord, forgive me.  I just marveled at how dumb we have become!  Laura can figure a sale!  If something is 40 percent off, she can tell you what the price is.  I know Erin can too.  No, wonder so many folks get cheated.  We can not even do simple math.  I wish I could drop my nines like my Grandpa Powell!  See even I am dumbed down!   No one can make change.  If they ring up your total, and you say, oh, I want to give you the 30 cents.  They are lost.  Everything is done on the machine.  Brains are dead!  I taught Erin to count back change.  I learned it when I was about 15!  I am glad my two girls can count.

2 comments:

Winnie said...

In one day last week....I had two different young people not have the ability to make change...each time I had given them the even cents with a five. They absolutely could not make change...the last one was at McDonals and I told him that he gave me back too much change...he said I go by what the cash register tells me to give back...of course he had not entered it correctly...so instead of arguing with ignorance I just took the extra change. I can't imagine how their draw balances at night!

Winnie said...

I just got so shook up that I didn't spell McDonalds right:(