Sunday, March 2, 2014

Stand On Your Own

This is Fleta and I on Erin's wedding day.  I always wanted to be able to take care of myself growing up.  But I always had Sister there for a Scotch. She would jump out and put a rock behind the wheel for me. My entire growing up etched into my heart "be able to take care of yourself".  I went to work and left the summer I was 14.  Fleta had this job but got a better one and I took it.  I made 12 dollars a week and got room and board.  I had to work Monday through Saturday.  It was heaven for me.  The lady lived in a nice house near Berryville and ran a clothing store.  She brought me home clothes nearly every week.  I did not have to pay for them and I still got the 12 bucks a week.  I turned 15 that summer and from that time on...I always lived by the motto...I can....  I have lived my life that way.  But if I ever do need a scotch I know who will jump out of the rolling car and put a rock behind my wheel.   My Sister is and always has been the rock of my life!  I am thankful to have her.  We are total opposites.  Not much a like at all.  But opposites usually get along the best.  After trying to kill her, when we were about 12 and 15, I don't recall ever being mad at her again.  Love you, Sour Sister.  From, Sweet Sister!

2 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Oh God I remember that day....Mama was bawling and ringing her hands and I was cheering you on Betty....Oh My goodness...How bad I was...

Sister--Helen said...

My 2 sweet sisters