Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Being Interviewed at School

I am getting a mule for Christmas. The mule
will be for Larry and I. We will share it.
Can't wait to ride my mule. I will not have
much time to ride in the winter but I think I
will enjoy a good mule in the summer time.

7th graders have to take ARK History.
They have been studying about the Great
Depression. One task was to interview someone
who lived through it. If they could not find
a relative that old Mrs. Heffley told them
to go interview Mrs. Renfroe! Well, I am
really not old enough to remember that time..
but with all the stories I have heard from
Daddy I answered the questions just fine.

I remember in school. My lunch cost 15 Cents
a day. I told the interviewers there was no
'free lunch'. And even if there were my
Father would have never participated in such.
Almost a third of the kids at school qualify
for a free or reduced lunch...a land of
poverty!

4 comments:

patsy said...

i hope you are joking about the mule, don't ride it. first they are hard to ride and second it is a hard landing when they throw you off.
we got free lunches when we went to school with daddy's blessing.
i think you did also.
daddy never objected to any thing that can from the goverment because he thought they owed him.
i bet you told them some tall tails wish i had been there to set you stright.

patsy said...

did you tell them that grandpa powell taught school during the depression and was not paid. they gave him script that was a promise to pay when the depression was over and then they desolved the sunny lane school district and never paid him?

Galla Creek said...

I never got a free lunch. Sometimes we charged our lunch and never paid...but there were no free lunches..

Kate said...

I haven't seen your blog for a long time; perhaps it's because Annie in Little Rock is no longer posting on daily photo blog. You were friends with her, right? If that's correct tell her "hello" from Kate in St. Paul, MN. I truly miss her photos and commentary. Glad I saw you comments on Abe's recent post, too.