Friday, January 15, 2010

Can Bake a Pie


Larry's favorite 2 pies are raisin and lemon. He likes raisin pie like Momma made it.
Granny Renfroe made it the same way. Bring a cup of raisins to boil in small pan. Only put enough water to come to the top of the raisins. Turn off and let sit while you mix one egg yolk, half cup of sugar, 2 T of corn starch and some pet milk to make it creamy. Mix this in the hot raisin mixture. It will thicken and look like cream pie with raisins in it. Bake like a 2 crust pie in the oven. I put the oven on hot--425 and then when the crust on top is a little brown I turn it down to 350. I don't keep this pie in the frig. Maybe I should.

To make lemon pie i buy a lemon mix. One you have to cook. I like to buy a crust. They are very thin and work well with lemon pie. I make my meringue by beating the 3 egg whites left over from the yolks in the pie. I add a dash of salt and a little cream of tartar, but after it gets almost whipped I add a corn starch mixture that I have cooked into the meringue. It is 1 teaspoon of corn starch to an 1/8 cup of water heated in the micrawave until it is thick. I use about a 1/3 cup of sugar in the meringue. This will not run egg whites. I brown the meringue in a slow oven so it can cook.

I am not a very good cook....but I can make lemon pie and raisin pie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sure was good. I LOVE YOU

Sunshine said...

Is there any left? Astrid loves it.