Friday, March 27, 2020

Sam’s Throne

Today Astrid, Laura and I hiked Sam's Throne near Mount Judea.   It was 2 and a half miles but I barely made it.  So ashamed that I can't do more.  In the top photo you can see Astrid as a little white speck in the distance.  She went near the edge of the cliffs.  I get dizzy and was afraid to go there.  I forgot my walking stick but Laura made me one.
I had to do a little research about Sam's Throne.  He was Sam Davis and he lived near here long ago.  Toward the end of his life he became a little senile and he would preach from a rounded mountain near where we hiked.  They said he preached "hell, fire and brimstone". 
This is not my photo.  I downloaded one.  The hill in the background is actually "Sam's Throne".
Found this at www.MountJudea.org
 The legend of Sam’s Throne, handed down from generation to generation, tells about Sam Davis standing atop his mountaintop throne preaching hellfire and damnation to the Big Creek valley. It seems that ole Sam was born somewhere around 1795 and came to this area in the 1830's following the trail of Indians who had kidnapped his sister. The trek brought him up the Mississippi River to the White River, up the White to the Buffalo and up the Buffalo River to Big Creek and up Big Creek to Dry Creek, where he lost the trail. Here he settled and one day while out looking for a lost cow, a woman’s voice answered his call for the cow. The two kept calling to each other and as they came nearer each other, the legend says that Sam recognized the woman as his long-lost sister, who was now the wife of an Indian chief who lived on Cave Creek.  

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

When I just miss three days of walking, it's almost like I'm starting over when I finally get out there again. That's why I hate to miss a day.