Today was a day I will never forget! On 9/11, 2001, I was with a class of 11 and 12 year old children. I went into the bathroom and knelt on the concrete floor and prayed for guidance in what to say and do. In 2023 at ATU in the Ross Pendergraft Library, I listened to Deena Burnett describe her 9/11! Her husband called her from Flight 93 , the hi-jacked plane, and told her to report to the authorities what had happened. She got the phone book and thought—who do I call?!
I am so glad I took time to hear Deena tell about those events and what came afterwards in her life. When bad things happen we can be stuck forever in that sorrow and live with bitterness or look for strength and guidance. Deena had 3 little girls to care for and she pushed forward to create a good life for them. Deena is an Arkansas girl and she still lives in our state. I was inspired to do better just hearing her story. Be vigilant or hate will turn you into what you despise! Love overcomes darkness


3 comments:
Thanks I should read that book! I was cuddling and rocking Adam as he was just 8 days old....I will never forget that day.
I don't think that any of us will forget where we were and what we were doing on that day. I was getting ready for school when my teenage daughter (who always listened to the radio in the morning), knocked on the bedroom door to tell us of a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I thought it was a small plane. I came downstairs and turned on the TV. Just then, the third plane hit the Pentagon. It was surreal.
Deena talked to her husband. She knew what they had decided to do..storm the cockpit and die! They had that last I love you to each other. They only found little pieces of things that belonged to him. She had no job. They lived in California. Her family was here. His were in Michigan. She stayed in California for quite some time as not to disturb her children more. She story is an inspiration.
Post a Comment